Buy With Complete Confidence
Tricks Of The Trade
Ryan and I have been looking for the best mattress you can possibly buy for nearly eight long years .. and now, we are in a position to cut through all the hype and nonsense that this particular industry is plagued with. To put into […]Read More
MATTRESS DETAILING - Need to know!
By the time you finish reading this you will be able to spot the difference between a good mattress and..Read More
All about mattress upholstery
Mattress Upholstery is the term used for all materials sitting on top of the spring unit to beneathRead More
Mattress Comparisons - How to..
This section is based on real life example and we are using Dreams, Bensons for Beds, John Lewis and ..Read More
ALL ABOUT FABRICS
There are literally thousands of designs for knitted fabrics (Mattress Ticking). They can ..Read More
Sale! Must End Today.
So, you've seen a mattress advertised at Half Price - WAS £1000 and NOW £500. How can you be sure if you have a bargain?Read More
How much should you spend ?
The bottom line is spend as much as you can afford. It's the same line that is trounced up and down every bed shop in the country making you think that to get better you have to spend more ... and more.Read More
Who owns Vi Spring Beds?
Many mattress brands belong to the same company and trying to figure out who owns what has become a labour of love for me. But why is this important to know?Read More
Soft, Medium or Firm Mattress ..
I keep touching on this method of mattress selection and as it is the biggest method that customers use it does require a detailed explanation of why it is so wrong . As always, these are my personal views and I open the page up for […]Read More
All about Polyester
As you can imagine there are umpteen combinations that polyester can be used in your mattress and if used in isolation (without any other wadding types) then the price should ..Read More
About Memory Foam
Memory foam in itself is an acceptable material as a comfort layer, coming second to latex and far exceeding polyester. It is comforting and cradling and more importantly, rather durable ..Read More
The key thing to remember in this section is that pocket springs, types and counts should not be taken in isolation. There are numerous variables that have to be applied in order for you to come to the right decision as to which is best for […]Read More
- Start Here..
Mattress Spring mechanics .
[Notes: Evolution of enquiries] This is quite an extensive and advanced Q & A article where we try to get to the bottom of the actual spring mechanics used within particular mattresses. Is a ten turn pocket spring better than a eight turn? Is […]Read More
Kluft Mattress - dissection
This particular model from American firm E.S Kluft and Co is interesting for the build technique used to produce such a model. Looking at the cutaway it seems to go slightly against the grain of Gradual Support theory with the use of several layers of […]Read More
MDF On Slatted base
Image of bedframe utilising thin sheets of mdf to prevent the humps of the slats causing a dip in the mattress.Read More
Fabrics used on Memory Foam
Memory Foam mattresses will always have a knitted fabric rather than a damask (woven) to accentuate the comfort of the mattress and depending upon which type of fabric used, will also have a direct correlation to the price you pay. As memory foam mattresses are associated with […]Read More
What is Tempur memory Foam?
Tempur® hate it when you refer to their products as Memory Foam. .. It’s NOT memory foam – It is a temperature sensitive pressure relieving material. And because of this they are very protective over their brand, and rightly so, its cost them millions to get […]Read More
- Mattress Spring mechanics .
Why buy from John Ryan by Design?
Hi guys. This site contains over 1500 questions and answers on all things mattresses and beds. It’s a confusing world out there and no doubt after trawling through all the bed sites and stores you will end up just pure frustrated and probably be no better off than when you started. .. Let us help you.
1. We are John and Ryan – fondly known by customers as The Mattress Geeks! There is NOTHING we do not know about the manufacture and composition of ALL mattresses from ALL manufacturers. This site was started in 2006 and over the years has become the most trusted and informative mattress site on the internet.. Read More …
2. Understanding and reading between the lines of sales jargon will also save you considerable time and sanity. GSM – ‘Grams Per Square Metre’ is the one thing manufacturers and retailers do not want you to know about! Knowing this one thing alone will instantly identify to you which mattress is overpriced tat or a can’t be missed bargain. Read More …
3. The mattress industry is a multi billion pound Goliath with many well known brands belonging to the same investment company. You really do need to know ‘who owns what’ in order for you to make an informed purchase. We tell you the current state of the marketplace and what to look for.. Read More …
4. The budget you have available to spend on a mattress will influence what you can feasibly expect to get. Knowing what you can get for a particular amount of money will save you days – if not weeks .. Read More …
5. There are over 4000 mattresses out there. The first thing you need to do is whittle down this huge choice into a more manageable set of options. This is easy enough once you know what to look for – We show you how.. Read More …
6. Bear in mind that the most expensive bed in the world retails at around £115.000 (The Savoir Royal State) Despite the price it can only be made to contain a certain composition and amount of materials. The same applies with ALL sprung mattress manufacturers – EVERY mattress out there can only be manufactured with one of three spring types and about a dozen or so upholstery materials. Once you know what these are your choice becomes considerably easier.. We tell you what these materials are .. Read More …
7. This site will give you as much or as little information that you may require. It is certainly not a flashy or professional site by any means. It is however a compilation of our personal notes, thoughts and findings over the years and there is no other place on the internet that has this wealth of information. However, If you just want quick, honest, no nonsense advice – all you need to do is pick up the phone and give us a call Read More ..
8. We are so proud and confident of the products we offer, as well as our expertise we offer you a full thirty day “Love It – or Return It ” guarantee. No collection charges, no small print or any of that nonsense. You will be refunded entirely in full but also with the apology that this time we may have got it wrong. Our current success rate in helping people choose the perfect mattress consistently runs above 96%, without our customers seeing the mattress, touching the mattress it or even lying on the mattress. Although enviably good our ultimate aim is to get this to 100%. Read More …
9. This site is entirely free to use. Advert and spam free. We do not require your email address (unless commenting) or any details whatsoever. This industry is a passion of ours and we want to share this knowledge with you in order to break the ludicrous rules of secrecy and confusion so prevalent in this industry.
10. We are extremely proud of the quality and value of all the products we have designed and to be able to confidently offer you “The best mattress you can get for your money” This is of course a bold claim and therefore the contents of our site has to go a long way to prove the validity of this statement.
Finally. There is no easy way of putting all this information in any sort of order. Our ethics dictate that you should be entirely confident in your purchase from us and we want to demonstrate and prove as best we can how to achieve this. Our small friendly service team have complete specialised knowledge of this industry between them, and can easily help you with your queries whether you are buying from us or not.
Enjoy our work !
John and Ryan.
Before you start please remember one thing ….
We know our stuff!
The manufacturing industry is pathologically secretive about the contents of a mattress just as Coca Cola is about the recipe of their Coke. The information mattress manufacturers divulge to retailers is as much as they want the customer (you) to know and no more. And that is the sole reason why you are going to find buying a mattress so frustratingly hard.
We know all there is to know about Mattresses .. We know how they are made, We know the manufacturers, We know all about their component parts, the suppliers and we know the costs… We also know all the sales tricks, the marketing and jargon used to get you to part with more money than you need to. Read our feedback so you know who you are dealing with.
There is no need for you to wade through hundreds of pages of beds and certainly no need for you to guess which one is the best. This is what we do for a living day in and day out.. Our shop is accessed by use of the links in the right hand side panel and gives full detail on how each mattress has been built and where your money is actually going.
We’re here to help you. We specialise in being able to get you the best quality mattresses for the lowest possible prices. It will be in your interest to read as much as you can about your potential purchase . We hope you find this information useful and beneficial. In order for us to improve we would greatly appreciate your feedback about the content of this site. John and Ryan.